Thursday, September 8, 2016

Day 6

This has been a rough 6 days in many ways. I’m trying to keep the blog positive but I’ve been terribly homesick.  I didn’t used to get homesick as a child, but when I went to Israel a few years ago I got my first does of homesickness, which was a major shock to the system.  Thank goodness I experienced that there, because I was able to anticipate the homesickness this time and wasn’t surprised by it.  However, it’s still bumming me out.  I miss my kitties, my partner, my friends, my cohort, my own space that I have control over, and feeling autonomous.  Right now, I’m still too timid to take a taxi by myself.  I suppose I’ll have to get over that this weekend… my hosts are out of town so I have at least 1 night home alone.  The problem is I got so ripped off at the Accra airport that I’ve become very distrustful, both of people who might try to scam me and of myself, the 2nd of which is the most worrying part.  I don’t trust my own ability to suss out a scam, which I was usually pretty capable of doing in the States (yes spellcheck, “suss” is an actual word, stop telling me it’s not).  As my friends know, I’m not exactly a timid person, so feeling nervous about stuff like this is pretty unlike me.  I feel like I’ve jumped in the deep end and I don’t know how to swim as well as I thought I did.  It’s not that I’m drowning… it’s just that I didn’t expect to be splashing around directionless to such an extent. 

OK enough ruminating on the homesickness. 

Something I’ve often thought while on the roads to and from work is how clearly the nature-culture dichotomy is a Western concept.  Here, there is “indoors” and “outdoors,” but that’s where the distinction ends.  Outdoors, the jungle seems to be in a constant battle to reclaim the land from construction.  The jungle is the city and the city is the jungle.  Large empty billboard spaces line the Sekondi-Takoradi road, the flora filling in the stark empty spaces where signs previously hung.  Trees also line the road at regular intervals, obviously a result of some city planning.  They form a canopy over the large thoroughfare, blocking sunlight from directly touching the road.  Beyond them, more primordial trees give way to palms, grasses, and murky ponds.  The sidewalk is not flat, but forms hills and valleys in response to the tree roots underneath.  There are places of more concentrated urbanity, like the Takoradi market, but once you are out of the more densely inhabited places, the jungle seems a constant background.  Cephas told me that one can’t see the distinction between the cities of Takoradi and Sekondi, but I’ve come to realize that I can’t tell the difference between the city and the jungle.  It all seems as one. 

In discussion with my University of Washington thesis adviser, Eddie, I will likely be visiting a more rural fishing village in order to have a comparison to fish consumption in Sekondi-Takoradi.  I’m interested to see how a “village” differs from this more metropolitan area, as Sekondi-Takoradi doesn’t strike me as very “city-like” by American standards. 

I’ve hit a few snags in my experimental design process, which Eddie reassures me is part of the learning process and is proof of success, not failure.  That was very comforting.  I have some more direction now, and am hoping I can pull together enough of a clear vision to present to Hen Mpoano in the brown bag seminar I’ve been asked to give.  The seminar will be very helpful to me, not only because preparing for it will force me to have my process more down, but because they should have feedback to give me regarding my experimental design, and any further readings they think would be helpful.  However, I’m a little intimidated by the thought of doing a presentation on experimental design, since I am truly such a novice at it.  However, everyone keeps pointing out to me that everyone had to start somewhere, and that no one expects me to have a perfect experimental design right out the gate.  As a perfectionist, this is frustrating because of course I want everything to be perfect.  But this is a chance to flex my adaptability muscles, which is an important life skill, research or no research.  I still think I’m somewhat of a crazy person to do my very first social experiment in a totally foreign country, but hey, I’ve never been one to do something half-assed. 

OK, it’s time for me to return to transcribing my field work recordings.  I have yet to make up my mind as to how much of the field work experiences will go on the blog, or if this will mostly be detailing my non-field work time.  I guess I’ll just have to adapt and find out what works best as I do it… which is basically how I live my entire life here.

To end on a basically unrelated note: I’ve been listening to Sia’s “The Greatest” non-stop for the past two days (except when I’m listening to transcribe, obviously).  The “yeah you can do it!!” message of the song is super helpful to me right now.  

I’m free to be the greatest, I’m alive/oh oh I’ve got stamina/Don’t give up, don’t give up, no no no. 

No comments:

Post a Comment