Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Pre-1st Day of Field Work

Today I go out into the field to test my skills at semi-structured interviews using feminist methodologies.  Yesterday I learned that I will, in fact, need an interpreter for many of my interviews.  Which means I will not be going out into the field alone.  And, because of the focus on women subjects and feminist methodologies my interpreter will also be female.  This is all very relieving to  me, because the primary mode of transportation here is via cab, and so far I haven't heard any of the cab drivers speak English (I assume they do, at least enough to get me around, but I still haven't tried it yet).   So I'm not exactly sure how to tell cab drivers where to take me.  Overcoming that "barrier to access" is one of my goals for this week.  I also want to be able to walk around Market Circle alone without being completely overwhelmed.

Hopefully after today I'll have a better sense of what needs to be modified about my interview process.  I am sure that I don't exactly have it down exactly, but I won't know what needs to be changed until I've actually attempted to interview a few subjects.  I will be heading into the fishing community of New Takoradi.  Stephen seems to think that me focusing on head female fish mongers (Konkohenes, in Fante), as opposed to fishermen, will work well - again because of the feminist methods I will be employing.  Thank you Professor Marc Miller for insisting I have a solid methodological background before going into the field - otherwise I'd feel even more lost!

Wish me luck, faithful readers!

3 comments: