Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Picture Dump

So these pictures took me, no joke, about 2.5 hours to get from my phone to my computer to the blog.  For some reason, blogger keeps crashing on my phone when I try to post pictures from it (wtf), and none of the micro USB chargers I brought are conveying data from my phone to my computer  (I had like 10 to choose from, how'd I manage this?).  So these had to be individually emailed to myself then downloaded to my computer then uploaded to the blog.  So enjoy, gosh darn it!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fish at the market at Takoradi

I think these are the Sardinella


The view of the road my host family lives on.  This soil is rust colored, not the vibrant, almost blood colored red of some of the other soil I've seen.  

The Atlantic on the West Coast of a continent.... so weird!
Technically this is the Gulf of Guinea and the Southern border of Ghana, for those so geographically or cartographically inclined (as everyone should be because maps are cool gosh darn it!)

Lunch location, first full day in Sekondi-Takoradi.  Apparently this place turns into a full blown club on weekend nights.  On my to-do list for sure!  

Back at the Takoradi Market... she saw me taking pictures and wanted to express her inner model. 

Bringing a friend in for the fun (I managed to throw my camera on the ground right before this picture and was very embarrassed while taking it)

Market at Takoradi

Takoradi Market

Crabs

So much fish!

More fish


Field work.  The woman I'm speaking with is named Adiza, and she served as my interpreter.  She holds a Master's from The University of Rhode Island and has been instrumental in helping me figure out my experimental design.  I am massively grateful! 

Canoes
(I was not allowed to take any of these pictures during field work.  I was informed by another of my Hen Mpoano guides that the people were likely to become suspicious of an intruder taking pictures, so he took them all for me.  I found this out by starting to take pictures and being told "STOP!" which was somewhat alarming.  So the following pictures of field work are credited to Patrick).

Canoes


After reading about the artisanal canoe fishery for so many years, it was sort of breathtaking to see it in real life

These pictures were taken on a Tuesday, which is the traditional day of rest for Fante fishermen.  Otherwise, many more canoes would have been out on the water. These canoes were essentially moored behind the breakwater. 

Adiza and I

Showing me what a "large" bucket of fish looks like.  The amount of fish sold are delineated by the size of the buckets the fit into, not by weight or number of fish.  So different groups told me the amount they received for a "large bucket" vs. "small bucket."  

Ok so not to be that Terrible White Woman who goes to Africa to take pictures with The Poor Children... these kids wanted to take the picture with me and they initiated it, not me (and then the adults joined in).  One of the children in this part of the fish processors area was thrilled to practice his English with me.  The little girl in grey with her hands on her hips (the one stealing the scene) could not stop putting her hands on my knees and smiling at me. I also get called "Obruni" which means "white person" by many of the local children.... this is not an insult, but more of a friendly way of acknowledge you.  When I hear a child call out to me "Obruni! Obruni!" I smile and wave at them, which they usually are thrilled by. 

No comments:

Post a Comment